Getting Started with the jamstik+
This page is an introduction to the jamstik+ (Bluetooth) model. For a jamstik (WiFi) intro, please go here.
Quick Tip: *If this is your first time powering on the device make sure to install the battery positioned in the back of your device. Your jamstik+ will not power on without following this step.
2. Apps and Software
If you will be using your jamstik on the iPhone or iPad, you'll be connecting over Bluetooth and can do so by running Bluetooth capable iOS apps; If you plan to use a Mac, skip ahead to step 4.
Jamstik+ - iOS app store - Serves as the connection between your jamstik and iOS mobile device.
jamTutor - iOS app store - Utilizes the jamstik's technology to introduce you to guitar playing methods in an intuitive, step by step manner.
GarageBand for iOS or Mac - The most popular music creation for iOS, the jamstik pairs perfectly with this excellent music suite.
Additional Compatible Apps and Software - Explore a highly recommended list of apps and software to expand your jamstik's capabilities.
3. How to Connect Your jamstik+ to iPad & iPhone over BLE
- Download the official jamstik+ companion app, "Here"
- Ensure Battery is installed and turn on your jamstik+
- Ensure Bluetooth is enabled on your Apple Device
- Turn on your jamstik+ by pressing the power button
- Wait for the red LED to pulse an amber color (This may take up to 15 seconds - pulsing amber light indicates bluetooth is ready to be paired)
- Open the jamstik+ App
- Click on, "+ Select a jamstik+" in the top left corner
- Click your jamstik+ to get connected (The LED should turn GREEN indicating it has paired successfully)
- Finally, the jamstik+ will perform a quick communication with our App shown by a loading animation. When finished, your jamstik+ ID # will appear in the top left corner of the screen.
You may want to connect over Bluetooth to other apps like GarageBand. Here's a quick video showing you how to accomplish this.
4. Mac Desktop or Laptop via Bluetooth
Head to our Downloads page to install our jamstik+ Mac Apps, then read on.
- Let’s connect your jamstik+ to your Mac.
- Start by pressing the power button on your jamstik+.
- With Bluetooth turned on, launch the AudioMIDI Setup application in your Utilities folder.
- If not already visible, select “Show MIDI Studio” from the Window dropdown menu.
- Double click the Bluetooth icon.
- The jamstik+ has an 8 digit ID that starts with JS, select it and then select “Connect."
- Once connected the status LED of the jamstik+ will change to green, and the Bluetooth Discovery pane will change the “connect” button to “disconnect.” The jamstik+ is now connected via Bluetooth to the Mac.
- We’ll play a chord in Logic Pro X to confirm. Yes, we’re connected.
Mac Desktop or Laptop via USB Cable
- Plug the mini-usb charging cable into your jamstik.
- Connect the usb to a port on your Mac.
- Power on your jamstik.
- Your jamstik should instantly be recognized as a midi device.
*Your machine may message that it is installing plug-n-play drivers. Please wait for this process to finish before using your jamstik+.
Try it out with Garage Band, or other MIDI-capable music software.
5. How to Update Your Jamstik's Firmware
Before updating, make sure your iPhone or iPad is well-charged or plugged in while the jamstik+ is updating. The process will take about 15 minutes and when it is finished, you'll have to power-cycle the jamstik. Hold the Power button for 3 seconds to turn off, release, then hold again to power on.
If your device runs out of power while updating, you'll have to perform a hard-reset of the device by holding down the power button for 30 seconds.
6. Additional Help and Connecting With Us.
We hope you have a great time with our products! We're always happy to see or hear any creations you've made.
Please share them on our social media channels below:
If you'd like to join an inside discussion please search for the facebook group, "Jamstik Users" and request to join.